The Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) has fined Kasipul by-election candidates Philip Aroko and Boyd Were Sh1 million each following violent clashes that left two people dead and multiple violations of the harmonised campaign schedule.
The commission said the penalties payable within 48 hours are a firm response to the escalating violence that has left the constituency “bleeding.”
The deadly confrontation occurred on November 6, when supporters of the two candidates clashed during a rally in Opondo area, Central Kasipul Ward, Homa Bay County. Police reported gunshots during the chaos, which left two youths dead and several people injured.
Authorities are pursuing a licensed gun holder who reportedly fired shots in the air twice during the clashes. Homa Bay County Police Commander Lawrance Koilem said the violence was triggered by an incident at Boyd Were’s campaign event, sparking panic and retaliatory attacks.
“When Were went to report the incident at Oyugis Police Station, his supporters reacted, resulting in the tragic death of two youths,” Koilem said.
The Kasipul seat fell vacant following the April 2025 murder of former MP Charles Ong’ondo Were, who was shot in Nairobi by unknown assailants.
In a statement issued after a disciplinary hearing, the IEBC accused both Aroko, an independent candidate, and Were of ODM, of disregarding the jointly agreed campaign timetable behaviour the commission said directly contributed to the fatal clashes.
Both candidates have since signed commitments pledging full adherence to the harmonised schedule ahead of the November 27 by-election.
Aroko received an official warning to strictly observe the timetable without deviation. Were received a similar caution, reminding him that the campaign plan had been mutually agreed upon and must be followed without exception.
The IEBC condemned the violence, noting that the candidates’ failure to respect the schedule fuelled tensions that spiralled into deadly conflict. The commission insisted the by-election must proceed peacefully, free from intimidation or disruption.
Beyond the fines, the IEBC warned that any repeat of the offences could attract harsher sanctions, including possible disqualification from the race. The commission emphasised that no candidate regardless of party backing would be spared for breaching electoral rules.
The clashes have heightened security concerns in Kasipul, with residents and observers urging stricter enforcement of campaign regulations.
The IEBC called on all political actors to exercise restraint and ensure their supporters uphold peace as the constituency prepares for the by-election.
