Iran’s participation in the upcoming 2026 FIFA World Cup has been thrown into uncertainty after the country’s Sports Minister Ahmad Donyamali declared that the national team cannot take part in the tournament following recent airstrikes carried out by the United States alongside Israel.
Speaking on Iranian state television on Wednesday, Donyamali said the current geopolitical situation makes participation impossible, accusing the United States of actions that have escalated tensions and resulted in significant loss of life.
“Considering that this corrupt regime has assassinated our leader, under no circumstances can we participate in the World Cup,” Donyamali said. “Our children are not safe and, fundamentally, such conditions for participation do not exist.”
The minister further argued that recent military actions had plunged the country into conflict over the past several months. According to him, the attacks have forced Iran into “two wars over eight or nine months,” claiming that thousands of Iranian citizens had been killed. Under such circumstances, he insisted, Iran could not justify sending a national team to compete in a tournament hosted partly by the United States.
The comments add to growing uncertainty surrounding Iran’s place at the 2026 tournament, which will be jointly hosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico. Iran had already secured qualification for the expanded 48-team competition, but the deteriorating political climate now threatens their involvement.
Earlier in the week, Mehdi Taj, president of the Football Federation Islamic Republic of Iran, also voiced concerns about the country’s participation. Appearing on state television on Monday, Taj suggested that the recent strikes had changed the national mood regarding the tournament.

“What is certain is that after this attack, we cannot be expected to look forward to the World Cup with hope,” he said.
Amid the rising tensions, Gianni Infantino, president of FIFA, confirmed he had discussed the situation with the U.S. President Donald Trump earlier this week as preparations for the tournament enter their final stages.
Infantino revealed that their discussions covered both logistical preparations for the global showpiece and the growing concerns surrounding Iran’s status in the competition.
“This evening, I met with the President of the United States, Donald J. Trump, to discuss the status of preparations for the upcoming FIFA World Cup and the growing excitement as we are set to kick off in just 93 days,” Infantino said in a statement.
He added that the Iranian national team would still be welcomed to compete if it chooses to participate.

“We also spoke about the current situation in Iran and the fact that the Iranian team has qualified to participate in the FIFA World Cup 2026. During the discussions, President Trump reiterated that the Iranian team is, of course, welcome to compete in the tournament in the United States.”
Infantino emphasized that football should serve as a unifying force during turbulent times, saying the tournament offers an opportunity for people around the world to come together.
“We all need an event like the FIFA World Cup to bring people together now more than ever,” he said. “Football unites the world.”
With just over three months remaining before kickoff, Iran’s stance presents a significant complication for FIFA. If the country formally withdraws or is barred from participating, the governing body will need to determine how to fill the vacant slot in the tournament draw.
Attention is now turning to FIFA’s next steps, including whether sanctions will be imposed on Iran or if an additional team could be introduced through the remaining qualification playoffs scheduled for later this month. For now, the global football community waits for clarity as one of Asia’s regular World Cup participants weighs a dramatic exit from the sport’s biggest stage.
